[Tagging] reference_point and landmark for addresses

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:06:10 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ask because this sort of description is used everywhere. One might say "at
> the end of the road, past Sand Lake Elementary School" rather than "8249
> Buena Vista Woods Boulevard", but that doesn't make the former any kind of
> real address. It's simply a spatial description that can be seen by looking
> at the map.

I seem to recall having read either the articles Felix posted, or
similar ones. The point is, in some countries, these informal
descriptions actually *are* genuine addresses. There's no other
addressing system in place, so over time they become the de facto
standard. So what I think Felix is suggesting is being able to define
the reference points that addresses are constructed from, in exactly
the same way as we define name=* for a highway=*, or for a place=*.

I think it's worthy of discussion get this right. landmark=* is
problematic because as noted there actually may not be a landmark
(like the little tree which is actually not visible).  Some kind of
addr:reference_point=*? Or maybe a kind of place=*?

The harder question is if you want to try and define actual addresses,
like actually putting a unique address description on each dwelling
("From the church, 400m south", "From the church, 380m south with the
blue door"). But maybe leave that harder question till later :)

Steve