[Tagging] Golf courses: clubhouse and course entrance?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:13:19 BST 2012

2012/5/21 Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
> I'd like to get some input about tagging golf courses as navigation targets.
>
> I found a detailed page describing the tagging for the actual sporting areas
> (tees, greens etc) but no clear pointers about how to tag things to get you
> to the course in the first place.

The tag is leisure=golf_course for the whole site.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgolf_course

This proposal deals with details for single elements on golf courses,
but it is quite old and hasn't been updated recently, so some stuff
might need to be adjusted to recent development:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Golf_course

I suggest you amend this proposal and/or contact the author for
details that are not documented there, so we can have one page for
golf courses instead of several different proposals.

> The club house building is often in the
> middle of nowhere and often not near the centroid of the course. So to get a
> POI usable for navigation, we should have some way of indicating the
> clubhouse (and the associated parking areas) and/or the entrance (road).
>
> The clubhouse could be a {leisure=sports_centre,sport=golf} but calling it a
> sports centre might be stretching the imagination a bit. Maybe
> {club=sport,sport=golf}?

yes, this sounds OK and is already documented here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:club

> Assuming the public entrance road crosses the boundary of the course area at
> some point, a shared node with entrance=yes might be useful for navigation.

I prefer entrance=main if it is clearly the main entrance, because
most/many sites have several entrances/exits, where generally only one
or two are "main" (general) entrances.

cheers,
Martin