[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Difficult passability

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Oct 10 00:02:18 BST 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 18:59 +0200, Konfrare Albert wrote:
> Thanks Phil for your comments,
>
> I didn't create a discussion page within the OSM wiki because I only
> wanted make a proposal to OsmAnd's developers, for include a existing
> key in OSM to personalize calculating routes for pedestrians. When
> appeared complications because there wasn't a existing key in OSM, I
> decided to make a proposal for a key: my first proposal, I'm a
> rookie ;)
>
> I also thought that there are temporary parts in the proposal, but
> really there are many elements that are temporary: shops and offices
> that close, the traffic signals that are changed, broken bollards
> (that permite the pass), speed cameras that are changed of position,
> chopped trees, public transport that changes its route, etc...
Shops and offices are not really temporary, they change but over
relatively long periods of time. Bus routes are similar, they do not
change very often.

We really should not be tagging broken bollards as the restriction they
are there to enforce are still there, and they will be fixed quickly
(even if its initially by placing a cone over the broken bollard.

> I think that the map always needs someone prepared to monitor the
> situation because elements will change continuously.
If we did that, we would have a much poorer map. There are not enough of
us to monitor everywhere with that frequency. If we only mapped places
we visit more than once a year, there would be huge holes in the map.

> If a repair of bridge was two years in OSM, perhaps until then this
> information wasn't too important for nobody.
It is important that we get this right, this is where we are, or will
be, judged. The road in question is unclassified and in this case people
who do not know the are will just be taken a different way. But maybe a
user has seen it and gone back to a closed source satnav, we will never
know.
At present I suspect the number using OSM based satnav will make Linux
desktop usage seem a big success ( yes I am a linux user ), and I do not
want to buy another 'closed source' satnav.

> If you go to walk in a path with «dense vegetation» or with a «fallen
> tree», and you are disposed to cross it...
A tree across a path is something that will again be removed within at
most a week or so, if it is causing an obstruction. Otherwise the path
may move around it, but it is too short term to map, and if the path is
public then it is the responsibility of the local highway authority to
keep the path clear. Time will vary, especially after a big storm, but
in general its temporary and a phone call is better than mapping.

Vegetation is seasonal, long grass will be gone by Autumn/Fall. If its
causing a real obstruction then report it. And carry some secateurs, so
you can trim it back a bit.

> Perhaps you will have a joy when you see that isn't the obstacle
> there ... conversely (if you unknown the difficulty) you could have a
> problem when you find this (also is problematic find a shop with
> OsmAnd -for example- and when you arrive, see that already it  doesn't
> exist)

Or we may deter someone from walking a perfectly clear path.

Phil