[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 19:41:32 GMT 2012

I think there's some confusion here. Imagic's question was on a motorway
example.

Three things on this.

1. I've noticed these OSM'ers in favour of option a: Junker, Tobias K.,
Martin, Simone, Alberto and Eckhart. Could any of these OSM'ers please put
an example (older than today [?]) of this tagging on this list? That's
because i've never seen one anywhere in OSM yet.

I've got a lot of examples of option b on motorways.
Netherlands:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=5.05512&lat=52.06882&zoom=18
Germany:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=8.71883&lat=50.06418&zoom=18
Luxembourg:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=6.08529&lat=49.58708&zoom=18
France:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=2.47817&lat=48.88683&zoom=18
UK:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=0.15021&lat=51.30202&zoom=18
Italy:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=12.38766&lat=41.82854&zoom=18
Austria:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=16.44579&lat=48.21632&zoom=18
Switzerland:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=6.13588&lat=46.25578&zoom=18

and the same applies to motorway_links (for exits).  What these examples
have in common is that the restricted zone (see:
http://www.auguszt.de/english/VZ/zeichen4.htm) is not used. Imagics example
a means the restricted zone can be used. Because it's not a physical
seperator. But, as I said, please surprise me by showing a *motorway *example
being used in OSM which shows example a.

2. An OSM'er started a discussion on a German page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE_talk:Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_link. It
seems that the current wiki on motorway_junctions requires the start of the
split to be at the beginning of the deceleration lane.  "In der Regel ist
das der Punkt, an dem die Ausfädelspur beginnt oder die Auffahrt von der
kreuzenden Straße abzweigt." Thus, the current osm tagging standards imply
that Imagic's option a is wrong (option b too by the way [?]).

3. You could have guessed, but i'm in favour of the way OSM is being used
at this moment, so option b. My arguments are about the same as Colin's.
And because I like the current tagging as shown in above examples.

Cheers, Johan