[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways (2nd Part)

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:13:05 GMT 2012

2012/10/17 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>

> Hi (again)!
>
> Thanks for all the answers. I would like to ask three more (the last
> one for this week - promised!):
>
> Same image as before:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Lanes_Example_2.png
>
> Now consider part 4 to 6. At what point would you split the way coming
> from part 4?
> a) Before the end of part 4
> b) At the end of part 4/start of part 5
> c) In the middle of part 5
> d) At the end of part 5/start of part 6
> e) Tell me!

I'd say it depends on the geometry of the specific case. Usually, I'd split
somewhere between the last metres of section 4 up to the middle of section
5. As I explained before, a (not too much) smooth shape is desirable.

> Two more questions to slip lanes:
> Where would you start the way of a deceleration lane?
> a) At the beginning of the lane
> b) In the middle of the lane
> c) At that point where it is legally not possible to leave/enter the
> deceleration lane
> d) At that point where the lane is physically separated from the motorway
> e) Tell me!
>
> Where would you join the way of a acceleration lane with the way of
> the motorway?
> a) Where the physical separation ends
> b) Where the legal separation ends
> c) In the middle of the acceleration lane
> d) At the end of the acceleration lane
> e) Tell me!

Just like before, it depends. I tend to join/split lanes a bit early, so
either in the middle of the acceleration/deceleration lane or earlier,
trying to make a corner that is sharp enough to be acknowledged as an
actual "route split" but not so much that it might be considered dangerous
or tight.

Cheers,

Simone