[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways (2nd Part)

Johan C osmned at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 22:35:01 GMT 2012

good thing to have this discussion. Too often I've seen OSM discussions end
up in 'everything is possible' which in the long run will prevent OSM to
ever grow-up and eventually become competitive to the commercial boys and
girls. (why the f... are millions of Android users using G.. maps and not
OSMAND, Navfree or Mapfactor?)

The example is not very clear, but I interpret it as follows:
a. it's a motorway example (not an example of divided highways where 5
shows the divided highway)
b. 5 is a single or double continuous (mostly white) line
c. the point between 5 and 6 is the restricted zone of the motorway exit
with the /// stripes on it and/or painted fully white. It's the same point
where the y-shape starts.
Since OSM is not only for experts but also for beginners, it might be
better to improve the example.

Question 1
Now consider part 4 to 6. At what point would you split the way coming
from part 4?
a) Before the end of part 4
b) At the end of part 4/start of part 5
c) In the middle of part 5
d) At the end of part 5/start of part 6

Answer 1
on motorways b), but it's no problem if the motorway_link (with the
motorway_junction node) starts a little bit earlier to avoid a sharp bend
in the motorway_link (example:
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlesat&lon=11.66657&lat=48.01287&zoom=18
)
Arguments: consistent with the professional tagging schemes by Navteq,
TeleAtlas (and G..) / helps me to get off the motorway in time / I really
hate missing an exit :-) / is (very probably) the most used tagging method
in OSM

Question 2
Where would you start the way of a deceleration lane?
a) At the beginning of the lane
b) In the middle of the lane
c) At that point where it is legally not possible to leave/enter the
deceleration lane
d) At that point where the lane is physically separated from the motorway

Answer 2
on motorways: a)
Argument: a lane starts where it starts, as that's not in the middle nor at
the end.

Question 3
Where would you join the way of a acceleration lane with the way of
the motorway?
a) Where the physical separation ends
b) Where the legal separation ends
c) In the middle of the acceleration lane
d) At the end of the acceleration lane

Answer 3
on motorways: b), but it may a bit later to avoid a sharp bend in the
motorway_link.
Argument: consistent to deceleration tagging. Though it's less important:
in practice it's not possible to miss an entry once you started driving on
the motorway_link up to the motorway

Three other things:
1. One question is missing, but i'm already giving the answer to it:
consistency involves tagging the full acceleration lane too with the
extended lanes scheme, from start (answer 3) till end
2. in my opinion a motorway_link is not an example of a divided highway as
described here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions
3. in my opinion a motorway (that is: about 99% of all motorways in Europe)
is an example of a divided highway