[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 18 18:27:13 BST 2012

Hi,

On 18.10.2012 17:16, Simone Saviolo wrote:
> A good marketing campaign would include

[...]

> Would you be for or against tagging
> them all, in that case?

Let me just say that I am very sensitive to "OpenStreetMap" and
"marketing campaign" being mentioned together.

OSM certainly attempts to describe things as they are, whereas marketing
often has the explicit purpose to distort reality for the benefit of a
certain brand or product.

A restaurant might describe itself as "spacious", but a look at the map
might tell you that it can hardly be spacious in the building it occupies ;)

Placing links to, for example, Facebook and Google+ is also an
endorsement of these services; by linking to a Facebook page we (OSM)
make the statement that this page has worthwhile additional information
about the location.

Just because someone *has* a Facebook or Google+ page, we should perhaps
not automatically link to that; I would certainly oppose any attempt at
wholesale-adding of Facebook links to anything that has a page there.
However if an individual mapper feels that the facebook link is a
valuable addition then I'd accept that.

Bye
Frederik

PS: I'm not entirely familiar with the access restrictions on these
pages. Any link to an external service that you can only use if you are
a member of that external service would be wholly inappropriate in my
opinion; it would definitely have to be freely viewable content.