[Tagging] How to tag railroad named control points?

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 11:20:40 GMT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
> My employer is a contractor for a few railroads, and through that experience
> I have gained personal knowlege of several named "control points" for one
> railroad in particular.  A control point typically consists of signals
> facing both ways, switch tracks to transfer between multiple mainline tracks
> if applicable, and often signs displaying the name of the control point.
> While the extents of a control point are not sharply defined (as far as I
> know) they can be roughly described as a few hundred feet long and as wide
> as the railroad right-of-way in most cases.
> How should such a feature appear in OSM?  A single node? An area-way around
> the associated physical features? A relation with several nodes as members?
> And what tags are appropriate?  Does this count as a new feature I should
> propose?

I think a relation is probably better for this than an area.  Further
details would depend on whether the railway has been traced as
separate ways for each track, or as one way with a track count.

I think it's worth documenting as a feature type.


More information about the Tagging mailing list