[Tagging] How to tag railroad named control points?

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:48:22 GMT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:20 AM, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My employer is a contractor for a few railroads, and through that experience
>> I have gained personal knowlege of several named "control points" for one
>> railroad in particular.  A control point typically consists of signals
>> facing both ways, switch tracks to transfer between multiple mainline tracks
>> if applicable, and often signs displaying the name of the control point.
>> While the extents of a control point are not sharply defined (as far as I
>> know) they can be roughly described as a few hundred feet long and as wide
>> as the railroad right-of-way in most cases.
>> How should such a feature appear in OSM?  A single node? An area-way around
>> the associated physical features? A relation with several nodes as members?
>> And what tags are appropriate?  Does this count as a new feature I should
>> propose?
> I think a relation is probably better for this than an area.  Further
> details would depend on whether the railway has been traced as
> separate ways for each track, or as one way with a track count.
> I think it's worth documenting as a feature type.

If there is some feature along a railroad that is mappable, chances
are it has been covered somewhere on this page:


Unfortunately all the descriptions are in German and the page is huge
so good luck finding it :)


More information about the Tagging mailing list