[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 18:23:19 UTC 2013

* Mike N <niceman at att.net> [2013-04-18 12:56 -0400]:
> However I have learned that the abandoned rail lines should not be
> removed - they magically regrow, so I allow them to remain as they go
> through hillsides which have long been bulldozed down and through blocks
> of buildings which have long since replaced the railway.

If there's still a trace of the railway left, even if only in a hedge or
property line, I'll leave the abandoned railway.  If nothing remains (as
in http://osm.org/go/ZZfEbI0G , where the land was bulldozed and a mall
built), I'll retag the way railway=dismantled, which seems to be the
accepted tag for such things.  It doesn't show up on the main map, but
it's still there for specialty maps and railfans.