[Tagging] road side

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 08:38:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-19 21:27, André Pirard wrote :
> On 2013-08-19 15:37, Tod Fitch wrote :
>> On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Craig Wallace wrote:
>>> Sounds like you mean the "shoulder". See
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shoulder It should usually be
>>> tagged as an attribute on the highway, not mapped as a separate way
>>> or area. Craig
>> +1 Except that I think in the UK they might call it the verge so we
>> might have a dialect issue.
> Thanks for all the answers and the terminology issue (the French word
> verge is certainly not a shoulder ;-))
> Unfortunately, as we can see it here
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.53624&mlon=5.63351#map=19/50.53624/5.63351>,
>   and even better here
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.53624&mlon=5.63351#map=19/50.53624/5.63351&layers=D>
> (kudos the renderers), it *is* an area, rather wide, and *has to* be
> tagged as an area if we want the limits of private properties to be
> correct.
> An issue is that routing software must find its way between the
> driveways and the road. I skip the details of the problem I solved by
> connecting the driveways to the road, which they don't, and I'm
> currently in the process of testing the parking.
> So, the basic problem is that the parking is unwanted and with what to
> replace it.
As there seems to be no tagging specific to the part of the public
highway which is an area extending from its line (way) to the private
properties, I made it an area with the same tagging as the road, except
for what makes no sense as the speed limit.
Fingers crossed for the routing.

  * highway
    <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:highway?uselang=fr> =
    secondary