[Tagging] road side

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:31:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM, André Pirard

 As there seems to be no tagging specific to the part of the public highway
> which is an area extending from its line (way) to the private properties, I
> made it an area with the same tagging as the road, except for what makes no
> sense as the speed limit.
> Fingers crossed for the routing.
>
>    - highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:highway?uselang=fr>=
>    secondary<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=secondary?uselang=fr>
>    - area <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area?uselang=fr> = yes
>    - access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access?uselang=fr> =
>    permissive
>    - name <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:name?uselang=fr> =
>    - surface<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:Key:surface?uselang=fr>= gravel
>    - zone:traffic = be:urban

Incorrect. I've checked your example and it is surely not a highway
secondary + area=yes.

First, "area=yes" implies that vehicules can move in all directions. Here
you place is just large as one car is long.
Then the "highway=secondary" is not appropriate since the area is clearly
not intended for the secondary road network. You could possibly set as
"unclassified" or "residential" if we follow your idea.
But more important, this area is not for cars but clearly a sidewalk with a
kerb ([1]). This is firstly an area for pedestrians that the neightbours
have to cross with their cars from their private garages. Access is not
restricted for pedestrians. So you shall primarily map this area as a
sidewalk or pedestrian area and optionally map the access to private houses
crossing this area. E.g.:

highway=footway (or pedestrian) (I don't know the current trend for
sidewalks areas)
+ area=yes
for the polygon

and the private alleys have to be extended to join the main road and simply
cross the pedestrian area.
Don't forget that you are here micro-mapping at a level of details that is
not usual in OSM (mapping sidewalks first and especially mapping sidewalks
as area).

Pieren

[1]
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Rue+Piretfontaine,+Dolembreux,+Sprimont,+Belgique&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=50.536861,5.635431&spn=0.000687,0.001521&sll=46.75984,1.738281&sspn=5.524293,12.458496&oq=rue+pirettefontaine,+do&t=h&hnear=Rue+Piretfontaine,+Dolembreux+4140+Sprimont,+Li%C3%A8ge,+R%C3%A9gion+wallonne,+Belgique&z=19&layer=c&cbll=50.5368,5.635281&panoid=JYh62klG0FADIZhk-8tZCw&cbp=13,13.51,,0,11.43