[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Substation Refinement

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 30 17:57:31 UTC 2013

On 30/08/2013 11:00, bredy wrote:
> Another question.
> But the pole with transformer is a substation?
> For me is better to tag it as a Pole because really I see a pole, not all
> people know a transformer. Then if I put transformer=yes I see there is a
> transformer in the pole.

Agree, the transformer is just a feature of the pole. I wouldn't tag it
as a substation.

According to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Substation_refinement
that is indeed how to do it. I see no problems in having an alternative
tagging of the transformer since the power key is already used for the
pole. For retrieval it is only slightly more complicated than just
searching for power=transformer.