[Tagging] How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 09:44:16 UTC 2013

Here in Italy we have plenty of bicycle barriers or chicanes (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Barrier_examples), often with more than
2 inverted-U-shaped bars to make life even more difficult.
They are used to prevent motorcycles from using cycle paths (not as in
Germany to prevent bicycles from using footpaths).
As these are serious obstacles for cyclists I have started tagging them
more precisely with, for example:
bicycle=yes/dismount
wheelchair=yes/no
max_width=xxx
The latter is not correct as "max_width" indicates a legal requirement,
normally a road sign, giving the maximum width of the vehicles that may
pass the obstacle or road.
Should I use "width" or "est_width" which normally indicates the width of a
way? But I want to indicate the maximum width of the normal-length bicycle
that I presume would pass the chicane.
In addition I should tag also:
bicycle_trailer=no
tandem=no
(which at present have not done)

I had hoped to find answers here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Bicycle/Radwegeigenschaften
but that page shows questions, not answers. :-(

Advice?