[Tagging] How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Tue Dec 3 10:28:06 UTC 2013

Am 03.12.2013 10:44, schrieb Volker Schmidt:

> Here in Italy we have plenty of bicycle barriers or chicanes
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Barrier_examples), often with
> more than 2 inverted-U-shaped bars to make life even more difficult.
[...]
> Should I use "width" or "est_width" which normally indicates the width
> of a way?

If I would see a tag "width" (or est-width) at an object called
"barrier", I would assume
- in the first line: It is the width of the barrier object itself.
- on a second thought: It may be the total width of the opening left in
the barrier.

But definitely not

> the maximum width of the normal-length bicycle that I presume would
> pass the chicane.

At least there should be a hint, that the tag belongs to bycicles.
The use of this tag won't be restricted on bicycle-only ways - and
'foot' users will have another "normal-length" - and therefor another
"maximum width that's presumed to pass" ...

Georg