[Tagging] How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 12:40:22 UTC 2013

2013/12/3 Georg Feddern <osm at bavarianmallet.de>

> If I would see a tag "width" (or est-width) at an object called "barrier",
> I would assume
> - in the first line: It is the width of the barrier object itself.
> - on a second thought: It may be the total width of the opening left in
> the barrier.
>
> But definitely not
>

>  the maximum width of the normal-length bicycle that I presume would pass
>> the chicane.
>>

> At least there should be a hint, that the tag belongs to bycicles.

if you want to tag this on the barrier (node), it might also be an option
to use "maxwidth:physical". This is currently not among the mostly used
tags, but the similar maxheight:physical has some (few) usage, and it
indicates nicely that this is about physical characteristics and not about
a legal limit.

I agree on avoiding "width" on the barrier object itself, as this would
indicate the width of the barrier rather than that of the way.

Tagging precisely whether you have to dismount from a default bicycle etc.
seems a little bit exxagerated because usually this type of barrier is
found in dense urban areas where it is not crucial to know whether you can
pass or not (you will simply take a parallel road or lift your bike over
it), but a solution could be to reproduce accurately the way (Z-form and
width tag) so in theory someone given your own width and lenght (and maybe
more geometry details as bikes are not rectangular) might be able to
calculate whether you can pass.
Another option might be political action to have these obstacles removed ;-)

cheers,
Martin