[Tagging] max{height, width}:physical was Re: How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Dec 3 12:46:15 UTC 2013

> if you want to tag this on the barrier (node), it might also be an
> option to use "maxwidth:physical". This is currently not among the
> mostly used tags, but the similar maxheight:physical has some (few)
> usage, and it indicates nicely that this is about physical
> characteristics and not about a legal limit.
i was unaware of this variant, but it could be quite useful in the US,
where we will usually see signage for maximum height, but sometimes
we see signage for "maximum height - actual". the normal sign includes
some margin of safety, the "actual" sign indicates that there is no margin.

this is a situation that's well known in the hauling industry in the US.

richard