[Tagging] leisure=garden

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 20:03:20 UTC 2013

2013/12/7 John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>

> In US usage, a garden is an area set aside for deliberate cultivation of
> plants; in UK usage, the entire area of land surrounding a house is a
> garden, whether you are cultivating plants, have it covered in grass, or
> are just letting it grow weeds.  I suspect there are probably several other
> meanings of "garden", when you look at world-wide usage of the English
> language.

In OSM we use by definition the UK spelling and meaning of words.

Generally you can't take tags literally but should rely on their definition
to see what they include and exclude and what they express. E.g. foot=yes
has a specific meaning refering to legal access for pedestrians, it doesn't
mean something has a foot.

cheers,
Martin