[Tagging] OpenSeaMap tagging - seamark-prefix was Re: [Imports] IENC of the German WSV

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 10:26:08 UTC 2013

2013/12/11 Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>

> Anyway, this thread is about the import, not the tagging! I know that we
> all love to argue about tags, but this is best done in the tagging list.

welcome back to tagging ML, I agree with zou, hence the tagging cc.

The reason for this arrangement is that querying a harbour object will
> bring up a list similar to those found in marina directories, nautical
> almanacs, etc.

An analogy would be to tag on every city object all streets that make up
this city, so you can get a list similar to a street index. ;-)
We are working with spatial data, so creating a list like that which you
mention can be done (easier and with fewer maintance/consistency issues) by
querying for a list of given facilities inside a harbour polygon, really no
need to duplicate this information.

Cheers,
Martin