[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Feb 9 12:54:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 23:25 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> > I have had a quick look around Melbourne's motorway entrances on
> > streetview and all I have looked at have a sign like this
> > http://goo.gl/maps/0hC6c.
> >
> > Please can you point out one that does allow cyclists?
>
> Western Freeway:
> http://goo.gl/maps/XUWBF
>
> Hume Freeway:
> http://goo.gl/maps/Ze3qc

On first glance I am not sure I would consider those motorways, they
look more like expressways to me. There are similar signs on Grade
Separated trunk roads in the UK.

> I imagine that all the inter-city freeways allow it - just not within
> the perimeter of Melbourne itself maybe.
>
> > You say Melbourne, I assume you mean Victoria? Allowing cities to have a
> > separate highway code would be scarey. I expect to learn different rules
> > when I drive in France, but not if I cross the border into Wales or
> > Scotland.
>
> Err, that's what the signs are for... :)
There are plenty of places where it is possible to cross between England
and Wales where there are no signs. I am less familiar with the Scottish
border, but other than it being a physical border (mountains) I imagine
it is similar.

But within Great Britain the rules are the same. I deliberately avoided
United Kingdom. I know Northern Ireland has slightly different rules
such as lower speed limits for recently qualified drivers.

> FWIW, there are slightly different rules in different states, like
> learners are limited to 80kph in NSW. Pretty sure the US is similar
> that way (I seem to recall that rules like "right turn on red" vary by
> state there).
Different rules in different states, yes. Different cities, that is beyond what a driver can be expected to know.

Phil (trigpoint)