[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=pasture

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Jul 3 22:56:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibbett at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Are you sure it is a meadow and not "unimproved pasture"?  We have a field
> locally that has a variety of grass types, flowers etc.  Horses generally
> graze in it but sometimes there are cows but only for a few weeks in the
> year.  It would seem to fit into the definition of a meadow used by some
> mappers but when I queried this with a landscape expert they told be it was
> "unimproved pasture" and not a meadow.

In the case I discussed, It is privately owned rangeland that happens to be
irrigated and fenced.

In the American West there is private pastureland.
There is a huge amount of land that is owned by BLM or USFS but grazing or
timber rights have been leased.
There's grassland in a protected status, unavailable for lease.
There are also rules in the margin of creeks, where grazing even on private
land is discouraged, banned or subject to binding agreements.
In general, heavily grazed fields look far different from lightly or not
grazed fields, no matter how deep the grass is at the moment.

But what do you hope to represent in OSM?  What it looks like?  The
conservation status?  The permission to enter?