[Tagging] Are addresses features or attributes?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Jul 22 00:18:28 UTC 2013

On 21.07.2013 14:06, Pieren wrote:
> Parcels can be merged and deleted, houses can be replaced,
> shops/restaurants/POI's may change at any time but the addresses
> remain. It is more permanent as a simple 'attribute' than all the
> 'features' you mention.

When a parcel is deleted, the address gets invalid. Where should the postman
deliver the mail if the parcel does not exist any more?

At least here in Austria there are simple rules handling all of these changes:
When two parcels (e.g. numbers 1 and 3) are merged, the new parcel gets a
range ("1-3") as housenumber. When a parcel is split, a letter is appended
(e.g. "1a").

When a shop changes, it is true that the address is more permanent. Just
like the coordinates are more permanent. But we won't necessarily keep them
in OSM if there's no shop anymore. As this is unusual, let's habe a look at
doctors instead. A doctor may have his practice in the 3rd floor, door
number 27. When he retires, he (or someone else) may use that apartment for
living. It's no POI anymore. It just becomes an ordinary flat like the 50
other flats in the house. Keeping the naked address with floor and door
number would be completely useless. Of course, we wish to keep the address
of the whole house, but there we are at attibutes again.