[Tagging] Juice "restaurants"

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu May 9 00:33:01 UTC 2013

"Brian Wolford // HOT" <brian.wolford at hotosm.org> writes:

1> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/name=Jamba%20Juice
> Right now there is a minor majority given to amenity=fast_food over cafe
> for the worlds Jamba Juices.
>
> Is the argument out there that juice and smoothies should be considered
> food? Walk up, order at the counter food or drinks?

fast_food vs cafe is a bit controversial.   I agree with Serge that a
cafe should have seating, and some kind of food.  But it's ok if you
have to get it at the counter, and also normal if you order at the
counter and then sit and they bring it to you.

The real distinction in fast_food vs cafe in my mind is that fast_food
means things are pre-prepared more than they ought to be, and perhaps
tend to factory food vs real food, and tend to be a uniform chain kind
of thing.  cafe is more prepared appropriately from the real food
viewpoint, and food that a foodie would consider at least sort of
respectable.
That's perhaps an arbitrary line, but I find it pretty easy to draw in
practice.