[Tagging] Feature proposal - Power transmission refinement - 2nd RFC

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Nov 4 22:36:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce that a 2nd RFC period has started for the power
transmission refinement.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_transmission_refinement

Due to last Friday reject for the first version of the proposal, the work
should go on and take care of many feedback we've got during vote.
I apologize for the excessive length of this mail... some questions need
explanations and then answers. Thank you to take time to read it.

Several points must be solved :
1. Voltage.
Voltage paragraph is certainly unclear. We try to introduce standard values
when exact voltage is unknown but is this very useful ?
If we don't manage to find a consensus about this, I will remove the
chapter before any new voting period.

2. Line/cables specifications
I've changed my opinion about power=cable and it will normally still be
available in this new version of the proposal.
Nevertheless, values like minor_line should really be deprecated : it's
only a voltage matter and we have voltage=* tag to deal with it.
People use to oppose residential lines to big overhead power lines but it's
nonsense :
- There are not just "big overhead power lines" and "residential
distribution" in power landscape. A wide range of features, designed by the
voltage they are supposed to carry, exist and enhance the importance of
"low voltage lines" with minor_line beside the rest in power=line don't
represent reality at all.
- Everyone is free to hide whatever he wants behind the minor_line voltage
threshold. Data consumers won't be aware of this and will have to gather
heavy detailed information about local specifications to know which voltage
is really in use.

3. Bundles and conductors
The new tags bundles=* and conductors=* were criticized as confusing
keys... should we bring back the old wires=* and cables=* tags ?

4. Additional stuff like markers and junction boxes
Some voting opposition was about the introduction of line=marker and
line=junction_box.
line=* doesn't seem to be the right key to use but I don't have better idea.
Should we add it directly to power ?
* power=marker
* power=junction_box

Please note the introduction of the new "underground pipes and tunnel"
paragraph which is maybe a better place to deal with underground junction
boxes.

Maybe you have any other suggestion for such a special kind of features ?

Other points have received a positive welcome.

Looking forward to hear about all that 4 points above, cheers.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com