[Tagging] opening-hours off closed

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 01:06:36 UTC 2013

Hi Eckhart,

On 2013-11-28 20:45, Eckhart Wörner wrote :
> Okay, here is a (probably incomplete) list:
> - the meaning of "off" is wrong
And, once again, what is the correct meaning?
I wrote before that this keyword is defined nowhere in [the rest of] the
page.
When I discussed my tagging problem, people had various opinions about
"off", including "not used".
You wrote that "off" must not be defined but "grasped" and it really
looks so.
You keep using the word "wrong" instead of showing what is right.
> - "open" and "closed" appear to be some new invention
You'd better explain this:

<times_for_days> 	*24/7* 	→ open
*open* [ <comment> ]
*closed* [ <comment> ] 	→ closed
<day_list> *off* 	→ closed

> - daily, weekly, monthly don't exist in that form. It is perfectly
> valid to combine them, e.g.
> Apr-Oct Mo-Fr 07:00-20:00
That isn't causing tagging mistakes as you suggest below.
Note: "Jun-Aug: Su 10:30-16:00" (colon) "The general syntax for the
value" (which?) mo md: hh:mm-hh:mm
My goal was to untangle all that for the users and they seem to like it.
The best way to make what you mean understood is to write the correct
diagram line and change it.
>> I know that the diagram is wrong […]
> …and you don't mind that mappers follow the wrong diagram?
Please don't isolate a phrase fragment from its context to have it mean
what you want.
What I said is that I struggled like mad to find how to tag a trivial
OH, I followed contradictory advices and I still didn't and don't know
how to do it right.  ??? Fr 14:00-22:00 ???  I said that *that part of
*the diagram is wrong.
And you don't mind if mappers don't know what is right?
> If you add wrong information in the most prominent spot in a very
> popular article, one can expect two outcomes:
> (1) someone might correct the mistake
> (2) people start tagging the wrong way In the last two months, only
> (2) happened.
(3) people applauded the gift and thanked for having found something
more comprehensible
(4) the gift is mostly FOR YOUR, and you can put anything right instead
of repeating it's wrong; keep it simple and even simpler if possible.
How can you say that my diagram is causing mistakes if it's been written
to avoid tagging randomly all the advices I received and if it seems to
have people want to tag opening hours instead of shudder?

My best advice is that you start your page by defining something clear like:
The opening-hours tag value is made of successive tokens.
The tokens describe a period of opening or closing time, according to
the keyword ??? it contains.
The tokens are applied successively left to right, each may override the
timetable built so far.
(for example closing a part of a previously opened period)
The keyword ??? determines the initial state: always open or always closed.

Please don't say that it's wrong but say what is right.

This is my last message. I'm afraid I really have other things to do.
All the best, have a good time.

André.