[Tagging] Hiking route abandoned

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Wed Oct 2 21:47:38 UTC 2013

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/10/2 John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
>
> > I think it makes sense to tag a no-longer-maintained hiking trail in
> > manner that will still be rendered, but will be rendered in a manner
> that
> > distinguishes it from an actively-maintained trail.
>

> what is rendered or not in a given map is the decision of the style
> sheet
> maintainer, from the data point we should make it clear what kind of
> object
> it is, so that the data consumer can decide whether he wants this kind
> of
> object in his style or not.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

My point was that the tagging needs to indicate maintained vs. non-maintained, and preferably also any known problems that would make an unmaintained trail impassable, tagged at the location of the problem, such as a section blocked by a landslide or a heavy growth of briars.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.