[Tagging] Wind turbines: big and small

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Oct 7 20:40:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> As far as I know, we don't have a standard method for tagging the height
> of an object mounted on top of another object, as distinct from the
> combined heights of the objects above ground, or the elevation above sea
> level of the base of the object.  There are likely to be other cases, in
> addition to wind turbines, where this distinction would be useful.

It seems that small and large are too granular for the complexities of wind
turbines. Wikipedia has numerous sizes of wind turbines. There is a
classification for small, 100kw or less wind turbines, but it is not
related to physical size, just power output.

Tagging wind turbines should have room for type, tower height, rotor and
hub size and power output.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch