[Tagging] Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Wed Oct 9 07:40:55 UTC 2013

Am 08.10.2013 20:16, schrieb Volker Schmidt:

>     Just for your reference - while for many cases, I agree that
>     bicycle=no
>     is appropriate, there are quite interesting cycleways in the Czech
>     Republic, where using bicycle=dismount for nodes on a path would
>     make things easier for people editing OSM. Consider this:
>     http://img.ct24.cz/cache/900x700/article/20/1936/193540.jpg
>     http://img.ct24.cz/multimedia/videos/image/646/medium/193542.jpg
>     (and don't ask me what idiot proposed a cycleway like this).
>

> This is the standard way of doing things here in Italy as well. At
> every "end of cycleway" sign you are legally supposed to dismount and
> cross the lateral road as pedestrian

well, as it is also signed as the end of the legal footway/sidewalk - in
my opinion it is no need for a _dismount_ there.
In my opinion it is just a legal backdoor, that on these driveways (or
serviceways?) you leave the legal cycleway/footway (with the regarding
legal rights above the otherwise crossing traffic) and have to obey the
crossing traffic for your own risk - even as walker, but also as cyclist.

Georg