[Tagging] Call for more feedbacks about "emergency=aed" or "emergency=defibrillator"

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:44:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:06:52 Pieren wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
> > On the units I've seen in the wild the term "aed" or "AED" appears in
> > nearly every case, but the word "defibrillator" is frequently absent.
>
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Andrew Errington
>
> > Yup, in Japan they are *everywhere*, with orange enclosures and big
> > letters reading "AED".
>
> From what I've seen in different pictures is that the label "AED" is
> never alone and you can read the word "defibrillator" translated into
> the local language for obvious reasons. I'm happy to see that in some
> countries, everybody knows what AED means... just think about the
> other countries.

I was.  What are you going to call an AED in any language?  If you have
an "A", an "E", and a "D" sound in your language, that's what it will be
(unless you're French, "DAE", or Spanish, "DEA").  Besides, putting 'aed' in
a tag does not mean that 'aed' should appear when it's rendered.  Only the
definition is important, and English is commonly used in OSM for that.  Once
someone has tagged something as 'aed' (since that is what it *is*), you can
render it any way you like.

Here are some examples from Japan:
http://nottotallyrad.blogspot.kr/2008/10/aed-lessons-from-japan.html

How shall we tag a vending machine with an AED storage compartment?

Andrew