[Tagging] Feature Proposal - No votes for proposals opening_hours_holiday_select and opening_hours_open_until

Robin `ypid` Schneider ypid23 at aol.de
Wed Apr 9 19:55:39 UTC 2014

>> I created two proposals for which the time to vote is over but there are no
>> votes :(. Should we open the voting once again or what is the usual
>> procedure in
>> such a case? The proposals are:
>>

> of course you can  reput this to voting, but if there wasn't interest the
> first time it might continue to be like this also the second time. Did you
> advertize your proposals on "tagging", local ML etc.? It might also be that
> there wasn't enough "marketing" for your proposals to draw the attention of
> potential voters.
As noted on the proposal pages, both proposals where properly announced on the
tagging list and discussed. I did not make further advertisements because of the
participation I saw on the mailing list.

> In detail I have looked at your proposals now, and like to comment:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/opening_hours_holiday_select
>
> IMHO it would be useful to have a list (also the beginning of a list) of
> possible values to make this more useful for documentation purposes.
> Usually spaces are substituted by underscores in formal values and no
> capitalization occurs. Maybe it could also be made more explicit that this
> is an _only_ condition (not sure if makes sense).

The naming schema was the one which had been used by Netzwolf originally (in the
source code). It is also the one which I got from the import of all school
holidays in Germany (with
https://github.com/ypid/opening_hours.js/blob/master/convert_ical_to_json).
Changing that format can be discussed. Personally I don‘t think that it is
necessary about if I am the only one we can change that of course ;)

I guess the syntax is ok. The few who need it or come across this syntax could
hopefully understand it (or try it out:
http://openingh.openstreetmap.de/evaluation_tool/) or read the documentation or
the proposal.

> the other one:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/opening_hours_open_until
> seems not to specifiy how this missing information (opening time) should be
> interpreted / is defined.
>
> What does it mean if there is a social club or say a disco with
> opening_hours=-17:00
> will it be open at 5 in the morning? At noon?
>
> Or in your example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/370126261/history
> -20:00
> can I have breakfast there? Or eat at 11:30? Or at 16:00?
>
> IMHO almost useless to put this onto some object. Better ask them when they
> usually open and add this. If there i

I totally agree with you but the values do appear in OSM and I wanted to hear
opinions from other mappers about this. Just asking them (the owners of a
facility) sounds like the best idea. Maybe add a opening_hours comment for notes
and hints.

More details have already been discussed in much more detail on the tagging
mailing list:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2014-February/016559.html

> cheers,
> Martin

My own opinion about these two proposal is that I fully support the
opening_hours_holiday_select proposal. The opening_hours_open_until proposal on
the other hand was created to talk about this issue and maybe find an solution.

--
Live long and prosper
Robin Schneider