[Tagging] small change to turn restriction relation tagging

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 21:15:44 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-23 16:37, Richard Welty wrote :
> On 4/23/14 10:14 AM, André Pirard wrote:
>> On 2014-04-22 23:46, Richard Welty wrote :
>> > i would like to add emergency (for emergency vehicles) to the list of
>> > vehicle types for the except tag.
>> Supposing that emergency vehicles can do almost everything (who would
>> tell a fire van for example not to drive on the wrong side over some
>> distance or make a forbidden turn if that's to put out a fire without
>> endangering other road users), I think that routing devices should
>> apply special logic for them to disregard most restrictions.  Hence,
>> what should be on the map instead is restrictions that they should
>> obey despite that, sort of telling them "if you disregard this, you
>> won't put out your fire".
> if this is the case, then it needs to be explicit in the wiki
> so that routing engines can handle it.
>
> i'm not sure that it is generally the case. i have looked it up in
> New York State law and it is certainly true in this jurisdiction, but
> for the US at least, it'll be state by state.
>
> the signage in some other states in the US for restricted U-turns has
> an explicit authorization posted at each U-turn. i honestly don't
> have a feeling for how general the notion that emergency vehicles
> can ignore all access restrictions really is.
You're right. The Belgian code, that calls them priority vehicles, does
not allow them a general right but specific rights: passing red lights
after stopping, over-speed, shoulder lane, passing destination street
signs, and maybe more (when they thought of it ;-)).
But the most prominent rule is that other vehicles must stop on the road
side to let them pass.  And, in fact, they do what they want when
everything is frozen in the streets and nobody would blame if they're
cautious.
I remember a two separate lane bridge leading just next to a railway
crossing that closed for more than 10 minutes just because service
wagons were manœuvering to and fro. I imagined that an ambulance going
to the nearby hospital would have dodged the full lane through the empty
lane and crossed the closed railway after a visual security check.

But OSM must obey the law.

Cheers,

André.