[Tagging] semantic issue with "genus" in the wiki, wetland, plant nursery, ...

althio forum althio.forum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:59:51 UTC 2014

On Dec 1, 2014 4:09 PM, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Isn't "product" refering to an object? Might be suitable for plants, but
for animals I'm not sure it is a nice tag.

"product" was not used on animal. It was instead proposed " for producing
landuse like plant_nursery".

In a zoo/park/botanical garden there is different possible prefix/suffix:
- "animal:" or "plant:" ...
- a very general "organism:"
- but not product/produce

> so "produce:genus" might be a better option than the aforementioned
"plant:genus".
> plant: 896
> produce: 8 493
> product: 677
> crop: 73 337 (but not all are about produce, there are also 9K "yes", 6K
"field_cropland" etc.)
> trees: 33 608 (often not applicable for plant nurseries)

If produce:genus can replace and unite produce/crop/trees for producing
landuse like plant_nursery/farmland/orchard without any loss in meaning I
think it is a worthwhile proposal.