[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 09:31:55 UTC 2014

> For me, English common sense says a 'water source' could be a river, lake,
> spring etc...
> the portability of water is not a measure of its source (where it comes
> from) but its purity...
>
> So I'd think the key should be
>
> Water_purity  with the key values 'potable', 'nonpotable' and 'unknown'
> ('yes' does not imply anything in the context of water purity nor water
> source).
>
> That key can be added to rives, lakes, drinking fountains etc etc .. no
> changes are required for present tags. Simply the additional information
> can be added.

Warin, I don't know if you followed the discussion and saw the proposal in
the wiki.
In short, it all started with the lack of good option to map a source of
non-potable water, like a water tap. It evolved from there to the current
state. The proposal from the last email reflects  to ~90 % everything
suggested as the discussion proceeded.

I agree that water_purity sounds better than many other combinations
though. So if you could suggest how to tag a tap with non-potable water, we
can reconsider it.

Cheers,
Kotya