[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Obligatory vs., optional cycletracks)

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:17:22 UTC 2014

> I think the only need for 'obligatory cycleway' is to remove bicyclist
> from certain roads! e.g.
>
> I'm bicycling north to south.. there is an obligatory cycleway 1000 kms
> west of me ..
> Do I have to use it? No. Totally unreasonable.
> Or is it only obligatory for the adjacent road? Yes. In which case the
> road can be tagged bicycle=no ...

No. If - for example - you need to turn left on the next crossing and the
adjacent cycleway is separated from the main road so that it is not
possible to turn left from the cycleway, you are allowed to switch to the
main road and drive on it in order to turn left. So bicycle=no is never
correct in such situation.

Best regards,
Martin