[Tagging] 'Variety' in UK English?

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:48:36 UTC 2014

On 29/12/2014 20:36, Steve Doerr wrote:
> On 29/12/2014 19:41, Guillaume Pratte wrote:
>> We are having a discussion on the wiki about the ‘varieté’ value for
>> the theatre:genre tag values:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dtheatre#variet.C3.A9
>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity=theatre#variet.C3.A9>
>>
>> ‘varieté’ does not seems English (shouldn’t it be ‘variety’?), and
>> it’s not French either (it should be ‘variété’).
>>
>> I suppose in the US they would write ‘variety’. How is it spelled in
>> the UK?
>
> The same: variety. My impression is that, in French, it is normally
> plural (e.g. théâtre de variétés), so if we wanted a French tag-value
> it would be variétés

OK, the term varieté (and other genres) was introduced in the Wiki in
February 2010 by a German user called BlackBike. It seems there is a
German word Varieté, also spelt Varietee, translated by leo.org as
'music hall' or 'vaudeville'. I'm not familiar with the subtleties of
these different terms, but it's not impossible that there is a genre
specific to the German-speaking world, subtly different from variety,
vaudeville, music-hall, or French variétés, which therefore needs a
tag-value of its own: theatre:genre=varieté.

--
Steve

---