[Tagging] Replying to raw digests considered harmful

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 22:34:07 UTC 2014

On 28/12/2014, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Could you please consider either subscribing to the nondigested version of
> the mailing list <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging> or use
> procmail to split each digest into it's constituent messages
> <http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/doc/#splitting_digest>?  Replying to the
> emails containing the digested mbox breaks threading by not preserving the
> In-Reply-To or Subject headers and makes everyone else's mailboxes harder
> to manage (particularly for folks filtering by thread; most folks are
> likely to filter anything with "digest" in the subject straight to trash or
> mute it without reading).

+1. For what it's worth, I have little enough time available for
mailing lists that I just delete digest replies without reading them
(I check the subject before deciding to read or delete a thread).

While you're at it, could you please consider not top-posting, only
quoting the relevant parts in your replies, and hitting "compose"
instead of "reply" when you're starting a new thread ? :)