[Tagging] correct access tagging for tourist attraction

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Dec 31 18:05:59 UTC 2014

johnw <johnw at mac.com> writes:

> perhaps use the =destination tag instead of =private on the road you are supposed to use.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>

I agree.  There's also access=customers that I use for parking lots.
access=destination is supposed to be some legal notion in the UK.   In
the private facility case, it's really a question of some places being
signed for no access and some being welcoming, but it a
with-permission-of-landowner kind of way.

Another approach is to use access=no for the ones you shouldn't use (and
for which almost no one among the public gets permission) and

  access=permissive

for the one the public should use.  It's a little off; presumably going
there at night is not ok.  But as a
represent-the-world-with-what-we-have-now approach, it seems like a
pretty good fit.