[Tagging] tag man_made=campanile to be replaced with man_made=belfry?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 7 14:53:14 UTC 2014

Strictly speaking belfry can mean either the whole tower or more
specifically the space where the bells are hung - usually near the top
of a tower. However I would suggest that in common English usage the
word is more closely associated with the "space" than with the
"building."

I would prefer to see building/tower/man_made refer to the building as a
whole, perhaps labelled as a "bell tower", with "belfry" referring to
the presence of a peal of bells. Perhaps belfry=yes/no, as many (former)
bell towers no longer have functional bells? (Is a belfry with no bells
still a belfry?) Or perhaps belfry:bells=8 to indicate the number of
bells in the peal, or belfry:tenor=1000 for the weight of the largest
bell in kg (typical UK)? The bells may also be a carillon, so
belfry:carillon=yes? All this is of course about the bells which are
installed in the belfry which is part of the bell tower.

Colin

[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcampanile
[3] https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klockstapel
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_tower