[Tagging] tag man_made=campanile to be replaced with man_made=belfry?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 15:02:12 UTC 2014

Here in Thailand we're having an extended discussion about towers that are
associated with temples. I would suggest using man_made=tower in
conjunction with tower:type=bell_tower for your situation. Our discussion
is stuck on whether such structures are really towers and not monuments but
in recent times we have used tower:type=stupa to describe the particular
man_made towers that are associated with Buddhist temples or wats.

It would be nice to gain some consistency in the description of these
common structures.

Cheers,
Dave

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>  Strictly speaking belfry can mean either the whole tower or more
> specifically the space where the bells are hung - usually near the top of a
> tower. However I would suggest that in common English usage the word is
> more closely associated with the "space" than with the "building."
>
> I would prefer to see building/tower/man_made refer to the building as a
> whole, perhaps labelled as a "bell tower", with "belfry" referring to the
> presence of a peal of bells. Perhaps belfry=yes/no, as many (former) bell
> towers no longer have functional bells? (Is a belfry with no bells still a
> belfry?) Or perhaps belfry:bells=8 to indicate the number of bells in the
> peal, or belfry:tenor=1000 for the weight of the largest bell in kg
> (typical UK)? The bells may also be a carillon, so belfry:carillon=yes? All
> this is of course about the bells which are installed in the belfry which
> is part of the bell tower.
>
> Colin
>

> On 2014-02-07 14:28, alessandro zardo wrote:
>
>  +1
>

>   Il Venerdì 7 Febbraio 2014 13:11, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> ha
> scritto:
>   The tag man_made=campanile documented in the wiki (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcampanile)
> seems to be wrong as it refers to the swedish Klockstapel (
> https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klockstapel), which is completely different
> from a "campanile" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_tower;
> https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campanile)
>
> As it's use is very limited  (less than 150) it could still be corrected.
> The closest concept in English that I can think of is "belfry", so I would
> suggest man_made=belfry to replace man_made=campanile in the wiki for the
> Scandinavian "Klockstapel", "Klokkestabel", "Kellotapuli", "Klokkestøpul",
> for the German "Glockenstapel", and the Hungarian "Harangláb".
>
> The normal tagging for an English "Belltower", Italian "campanile", or
> German "Glockenturm" should remain man_made=tower + tower:type= bell_tower
> (it's used more then 5000 times).
>
> Volker

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska