[Tagging] tag man_made=campanile to be replaced with man_made=belfry?

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 13:53:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here in Thailand we're having an extended discussion about towers that are
> associated with temples. I would suggest using man_made=tower in
> conjunction with tower:type=bell_tower for your situation. Our discussion
> is stuck on whether such structures are really towers and not monuments but
> in recent times we have used tower:type=stupa to describe the particular
> man_made towers that are associated with Buddhist temples or wats.
>
> It would be nice to gain some consistency in the description of these
> common structures.

This seems to be the best direction, I want to hear more. I know the lure
of finding proper name for everything instead of being general, but
remember we use "highway" to name roads.

I've tagged man_made=campaniles, and did so after deciding that there was
 no real difference between a klockstapel and a campanile. Things are so
different between cultures and languages so unless you have someone with a
good theory on how to calssify these towers I would say that the more
general the better. See discussion about man_made=pier

For me man_made=campanile is a free standing tower adjacent to a building
that might be religous, and probably contains a clock. Does that cover all
use cases?

/Erik