[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - drinkable

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 00:23:04 UTC 2014

@FrViPofm: I respectfully disagree. The drinking_water tag you refer to is
intended to indicate if drinking water is available at a certain facility,
not whether it is safe to drink. The values in your example demonstrate
this intention with "yes" and "no" comprising over 90% of the values in
existence.

As for the example of toilets with drinkable=yes, I agree that this might
be confusing. In the Wiki it would be helpful to recommend that the
drinkable tag be used with amenities like fountain, spring, etc. Using it
as you did above is ambiguous. For example, one would not use the term
surface=concrete to describe a waterway. Although nothing forbids you to
use it that way, except common sense, it is intended to be used to describe
the surface of a highway. I would hope drinkability would follow that sort
of usage

Dave.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Vincent Pottier <vpottier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 27/02/2014 07:18, Rudolf Martin a écrit :
>
>> Hallo,
>>

>> the tag "drinkable=" is used more than 3000 times.
>>
>> Up today there is no clear definition about the values of this tag.
>>
>> I made a proposal with some possible values, according to some
>> discussions in this mailinglist and some threads in the osm forum.
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/drinkable
>>
>> Feel free to discuss.
>>
>> Rudolf
>>
>>  What about drinking_water used also more than 3000 times ?
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/drinkable (~3300)
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/drinking_water (~3100)
>
> It seems that today "drinkable=*" is on "standalone watering objects"
> (fountains, springs...) and "drinking_water=*" is on other amenities or
> objects (shelter, toilets...).
>
> It seems also that the values should be the same.
>
> And it seems that "drinking_water=*" would fit both "standalone" objects
> and other objects, rather than "drinkable". What do you think of
> amenity=toilets + drinkable=yes ? But in contrast, "amenity=fountain +
> drinking_water=yes sounds good.
>
> So I would be in favour of a single "drinking_water" tag having 6400
> occurrences and a migration from "drinkable" to "drinking_water" tags.
> It is easy to migrate softly the "drinkable" to drinking_water" by
> duplicating the tags in a first time and make the first obsolete.
> --
> FrViPofm

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska