[Tagging] Bitcoin and Online shops

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jan 23 13:07:53 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 01/23/2014 12:30 AM, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> Don't you think a visualization of the spatial distribution of online
> businesses would be interesting to someone? Are there more on the east
> or on the west coast of USA?

Two answers

A - get a list of online businesses with addresses, geocode, voila. No
need to add them into OSM.

or

B - by all means add them to URL just make sure you leave out their URL,
this will allow all the interesting uses you speak of and will help the
delivery driver to find them but that way we can be sure OSM will not be
abused for spam.

> Also, a little widget that shows you where is the office of the page you
> are currently on.

Why would you be insterested?

> And then there's all those ways of using that information we don't know yet.

Yes, for example to drive up search engine rankings.

We have to weigh the potential positive and the potential negative uses
here; placing the URL of a business into OSM when that business derives
all their revenue through people actually knowing the URL is just asking
to be abused.

Bye
Frederik