[Tagging] About new landuses and superiority of cascading tag schemes

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Jul 31 04:01:01 UTC 2014

On 25.07.2014 11:16, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> I propose to reduce inventing new landuses and start making subcategories
> whenewer possible.
>
> Recently I encountered landuse=plant_nursery, landuse=salt_pond,
> landuse=greenhouse_horticulture and landuse=mine.
>
> I think that all of them are overly specific and should be tagged as
> subcategories
> of more general landuses.
>
> [landuse=plant_nursery] (x4398) -> [landuse=farmland,
> farmland=plant_nursery] (x980)
> [landuse=salt_pond] (x4445) -> [landuse=industrial, industrial=salt_pond] (x59)
> [landuse=greenhouse_horticulture] (x19478) -> [landuse=farmland,
> farmland=greenhouse_horticulture] (unused)
> [landuse=mine] (x1005) ->  [landuse=industrial, industrial=mine] (unused)

Some of these landuse=* values have been in use for years now, and you
cannot get rid of 20k landuse=greenhouse_horticulture with a fingersnip.

If you want to decrease landuse=* values, you should rather start with
eliminating landuse=farmland, which is just a result of an editor bug and
has never been approved.

For the same reason, a possible subkey should be named farm=* instead of
farmland=*.

As a Merkaartor user, I don't want to obey to insane and ignorant JOSM
developers. I swear I will never use landuse=farmland or farmland=*
deliberately.