[Tagging] seafood vs fishmonger (was Re: Synonymous values in the shop key)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 13:57:56 UTC 2014

> Anyway, I think the future of OSM tagging is in editors like iD that
> translate tags into native languages

this will level out a lot of fine distinctions and give a lot of power and
responsibility to the preset makers. The main problem I see is that one
word is often not enough to give a tag definition (and to make distinctions
from other tags). Having one or two phrases would improve the situation
already a lot.

Anyway FWIW, most data is still edited with JOSM (2014: 78,5%)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor_usage_stats

cheers,
Martin