[Tagging] seafood vs fishmonger (was Re: Synonymous values in the shop key)

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:33:57 UTC 2014

> this will level out a lot of fine distinctions and give a lot of power and
> responsibility to the preset makers.

Yes, that's why I think there should be a centralized tag translation, tag
icon, and tag semantic meaning database that all editors would then use.
The fact that iD has Transifex users decide on the translation (and thus
meaning) of tags isn't a very good idea.

> The main problem I see is that one word is often not enough to give a tag
> definition (and to make distinctions from other tags). Having one or two
> phrases would improve the situation already a lot.

iD has a good solution here, if you click on a little "i" besides the tag,
you get the first paragraph from the tag's wiki article (in your language
if it's available) with a little picture.

> Anyway FWIW, most data is still edited with JOSM (2014: 78,5%)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor_usage_stats

I think most of the data will always be mapped by experienced JOSM users.
We just need newcomers to be as little trouble as possible :)