[Tagging] Bitcoin ATM (amenity=atm | currency:XBT=yes)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Tue Jun 10 17:28:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

>> AFAIK most Bitcoin ATMs right now take "real" money and convert it to
>> Bitcoins. Some can take Bitcoins and convert them to real money and give it
>> to you. So I'm not sure why this wouldn't be called an ATM. Calling it
>> anything else would be tagging for the renderer (we don't want it to show
>> up on maps because it isn't a classical ATM)

The *bitcoin* device is a *currency exchange terminal.*
It's not an ATM at 99% of the world understands that term.  An ATM is a
device for interacting with a pre-established deposit account, perhaps
though an interbank network. These are different functions.

It's possible a device could both be an ATM as commonly understood, and a
bitcoin currency exchange device.
The tagging should keep these concepts separate, but allow them to be
combined on a single node if appropriate.