[Tagging] Suggestions for the correct tagging of Field borders

Simon Wüllhorst mail at simon-wuellhorst.de
Sun Jun 29 18:09:18 UTC 2014

Hey folks,

first of all thanks for your replies.

I really want to establish a new tag for fieldborders. I would suggest
landuse=fieldmargin. Most of times they are managed so the landuse key
would be the best choice.

There should also be a way to describe the type of fieldmargin (e. g.
scrubs, trees,..). I found different ways to do that. I visualized it here
for some examples:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/b/b4/Fieldmargins.png

- First of all I described the current way to tag fieldmargins.
- Option 1 uses the same tags as currently used but adds an additional
landuse=fieldmargin (less inversive).
- Option 2 uses the landuse=fieldmargin tag and uses the landcover tag if
possible otherwise the current used tag (see image to understand ;) ).
- Option 3 (my preferred) uses landuse=fieldmargin and a new key named
margin to specify the type of fieldmargin (e.g. fieldmargin=trees).

I prefer Option 3 because all types of fieldmargins a described with the
same key therefore they easily can be combined (if the fieldmargin is grown
by different types, e.g. fieldmargin=trees;bank. Furthermore it prevents of
a wrong usage of other keys (e.g. a wall is not a barrier in case of a
fieldmargin).

What do you think about theses options? Are you interested in creating a
feature request? Please let me know.

Greetings
Simon/descilla