[Tagging] Landuse=civic_admin

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:49:47 UTC 2014

> I'd like to clarify what I said before that landuse=civic_admin would be
> useful. It would be useful for  tagging the only the compounds where
> government offices are located (townhall, courthouse, etc.). I am not
> suggesting that schools and hospitals would use the same
> landuse=civic_admin tag.

+1, I agree that we COULD have some new landuse values, there is a lot of
stuff that isn't yet covered by the well introduced landuses, including:

churches and other religion related areas
museums
theatres and cinemas, restaurants and nightclubs
mixed use (like you'll find for instance in the centre of the typical
european city)
courthouses
parliaments and city counsels (and the levels in between) as well as
supranational "decision making" institutions
hospitals and clinics
public administration (with and without public access)
universities and schools and colleges
hotels etc.
sports related areas
water supply and waste water treatment
electricity production and distribution
gas ...

until now, most of these simply got their specific tag to say what they are
without any landuse. We will have to decide if this is sufficient or if and
for what we'd like to have additional landuse values.

What should IMHO not be done is define something with the word
"administration" in it for stuff that isn't administration (courts,
parliaments and counsels, senates, etc.).

Cheers,
Martin