[Tagging] Wilderness huts

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:53:08 UTC 2014

> I am proposing adding the words "typically not accessible from the highway
> system" to the definition for wilderness_hut in the Map Features; Tourism
> section. Currently it says: "A remote building with fireplace intended to
> provide shelter and sleeping accommodation."

"typically not accessible from the highway system" is fine for me if you
read "highway" to exclude tracks. If you travel by tractor, enduro
motorbike or Jeep you might be able to access many wilderness huts also
with motorized vehicles.

> Also I think the term fireplace is too restrictive. I would propose
> "usually equipped with a heat source of some type"

On the other hand there are wilderness huts where "fireplace" is to take
literally (there is a circle of stones in front of it, where you can light
a fire, but there is no "heatsource" in the hut, you will have to collect
wood in the surroundings. We should take care not to exclude those places.
The main feature of a wilderness hut is IMHO a dry shelter, i.e. a place
where you can stay the night in relative security, protected from the
weather and wild animals.

cheers,
Martin