[Tagging] Wilderness huts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:18:04 UTC 2014

@fly

"What is the difference between a mountain, alpine, or wilderness hut" is
exactly what I'm trying to determine.

Mountain_hut is not used much —  only 7 instances — so I think it can
safely be considered to be the same as an alpine_hut which, by definition,
is located in mountainous regions.

Wilderness huts are something I'm familiar with so I'm seeking to clarify
what it is about them that would invite the use of that tag. Being in a
wild or primitive area is one, being away from well traveled highways is
another. It seems to me that alpine_hut is the same, or at least similar,
so perhaps those three can be covered with only one tag.

That's the direction I'm trying to pursue anyway....

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM, fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Well, what is the difference between a mountain, alpine or wilderness hut ?
>
> Think much more important than the name and its surrounding are the
> available facilities, capacity and equipment.
>
> Rather than splitting the types by name I would prefer to get
> information about how useful the hut is for my needs.
>
> Cheers fly
>
> On 31.03.2014 12:53, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>>:
> >
> >     I am proposing adding the words "typically not accessible from the
> >     highway system" to the definition for wilderness_hut in the Map
> >     Features; Tourism section. Currently it says: "A remote building
> >     with fireplace intended to provide shelter and sleeping
> accommodation."
> >

> > "typically not accessible from the highway system" is fine for me if you
> > read "highway" to exclude tracks. If you travel by tractor, enduro
> > motorbike or Jeep you might be able to access many wilderness huts also
> > with motorized vehicles.
> >

> >     Also I think the term fireplace is too restrictive. I would propose
> >     "usually equipped with a heat source of some type"
> >

> > On the other hand there are wilderness huts where "fireplace" is to take
> > literally (there is a circle of stones in front of it, where you can
> > light a fire, but there is no "heatsource" in the hut, you will have to
> > collect wood in the surroundings. We should take care not to exclude
> > those places. The main feature of a wilderness hut is IMHO a dry
> > shelter, i.e. a place where you can stay the night in relative security,
> > protected from the weather and wild animals.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand